You should use 1.12.2 to connect to the server.
Installing Forge and LiteLoader
If you find this step difficult or run into issues, take a look at the MultiMC Launcher which easily installs Forge and LiteLoader with the push of a button.
- make a 1.12.2 vanilla profile and run it once
- download and run the Forge installer
- download and run the LiteLoader installer
- download the mods you want and move them to
.minecraft\mods\1.12.2\(create if it doesn't exist)
Specifically for Civ
- CombatRadar (for LiteLoader), continuation of CivRadar (for Forge) and SkyNet - Informs user when other users log on.
- SnitchMaster - Helps to manage large snitch networks.
These provide a small map in the corner of your screen, a world map that gets filled as you explore, and waypoints to remember your hidden things and other people's places.
Remember to disable cave mode!
- 5Zig - Pvp : Shows many configurable stats, from coordinates to cps.
- BetterHUD - Very useful for telling you durability. Make sure to turn off mob info.
- Chat Bubbles - Kinda cute, shows bubble with chat above head.
- CivRelay - Sends various alerts to different Discord channels: snitch alerts, group chat, player login/out
- Gammabright - Helps with that brightness. 1.12.2 not out but slight modification you can look up necessary to make work with 1.12.2
- Ghostwriter - For books.
- Macromod (requires LiteLoader) - For bots. note to make modules, add custom commands see:Macros Module SDK example modules
- Optifine (The only way to install it is by using the installer; if you want the jar file by itself, then after installing it, go to /.minecraft/libraries/optifine/[version] and the jar will be there. Stick it in your mods folder.) On low setting will significantly improve game performance
- FoamFix, Betterfps - For performance if optifine on lowest settings is not enough. Prone to breaking, especially when stacked with other performance improving mods.
- ReplayMod - Records what happens. Great for justifications.
- Schematica (also needs LunatriusCore) - Allows you to capture a build and see a schematic.
- TabbyChat2 - Manages ingame chat, gets hectic with multiple groups.
- WorldDownloader - Self explanatory.
- Chunky - Make massive renders [use in conjunction with worlddownloader mod]
- Better Sprinting - Toggle sprint and sneak. Can be supplanted by other mods, macros.
- MoreChunks - [Alpha phase] Increase terrain render distance on servers with very small default view distance.
- Gridlines - Highlight coordinates in a grid pattern (Useful for snitch or bastion placement)
- Angelia-core - Open source command line minecraft client with focus on botting
- Hacked clients are not allowed.
- Killaura, warp drive etc will get you banned.
- Autofish mods are not allowed. However in-game fish farms are allowed.